The holistic science Ayurveda for more than 5000 years has been helping people of all ages to overcome their illnesses. If you want to boost your immune system in a natural way, then Ayurveda is the right path for you.
According to Ayurveda, strong immunity is a product of good digestion, balanced Agni, quality liver functioning and a balanced endocrine system. In Ayurveda, the immune system is correlated to a vital substance called Ojas. Agni, the universal principle of transformation that manifests as the digestive fire, transforming food into bodily tissue and waste. Ayurveda kindles the Agni of the body to digest toxins (ama) which have manifested due to internal or external stresses. Ama, the digestive impurities caused by eating hard-to-digest foods or by following unhealthy eating habits, compromises immunity, and health.
When the health of a man gets weaker, this is a sign that the Ojas energy in the body has decreased. When the Ojas level is low, people are vulnerable to various infections and illnesses. Having a wholesome diet and lifestyle that brings balance to individual needs can lead to a long and happy life. Ayurveda is not meant to be a rigid practice, but a foundation of healthy habits and practices that the mind and body can count on.
To understand the Ayurvedic approach to bolster the immune system we need to understand
What is Ojas?
Ojas is the positive subtle essence of Kapha dosha – which gives the body strength, vigor, vitality, and immunity. It is the superfine essence of all of the bodily tissues and the end product of perfect digestion, it is a direct reflection of the quality of Agni; strong Agni yields healthy Ojas, while impaired Agni hinders the quality of Ojas. It influences everything from our immunity, digestion, physical strength, and the health of our skin to our spiritual inclination, sleep, and mood.
Excellent ojas comes from a consistent seasonal practice that honors the Ayurvedic principles of good health and longevity. It comes from a commitment to consciousness, the right choices, and a balanced healthy lifestyle. We build our ojas by mindfully observing these practices.
Ojas is affected by past trauma, lifestyle choices, stress levels, the quality of our relationships, and our consciousness.
Healthy Ojas builds a state of bliss.
What does Ayurveda offer for building our immune system so that we can protect ourselves during vulnerable times-
▪ Regular practice of yoga and Pranayam.
▪ Rasayana herbs consumption, including Amla and Ashwagandha.
▪ Consumption of a balanced diet, including all the nutritional qualities.
▪ Adopt a supportive daily routine- Our physiology is very much adapted to and supported by some sense of regularity. Ayurveda recommends a daily routine for everyone. However, because it helps to calm the nervous system and relieve stress, focusing on a routine can be a particularly potent means of preserving immunity and protecting ojas.
▪ Adopting regular plans for detox such as Panchakarma cleansing or fasting one time in a year.
▪ The use of nasal oils can help strengthen the immunity tasks of the nose. Once infected, viral load can spread from the nose downwards into the throat and lungs, so keeping the nasal membranes strong and clean is important. You can use nasyam oil such as ‘anu tailam and put two warm drops in every nostril daily in the morning and inhale.
▪ Do regular steam inhalation in which you add some Kapha reducing essential oil which is not too sharp, like eucalyptus and Echinacea or you can take some ajwain seeds –boil it with water and inhale (carefully) the fume.
▪ Add essential species in the routine diet. With most of the species, the body receives beneficial results such as increasing the capacity of oxygen radical absorption, integrity maintenance and eliminating the chances of cell damage.
▪ Greet your day with Pippali (long pepper fruit), ginger tea, and Tulsi, which can help in cleansing and boosting the respiratory tract in humans.
▪ Complete your daily meals with black pepper and turmeric, which strengthens the immune system and reduces the occurrence of toxins or Ama. Make a drink with turmeric and almond milk or combine turmeric with your morning-time oats for a healthier immunity.
▪ Avoid consuming processed or red meats such as ham, bacon, nuggets, sausage, and so on. It can help eliminate the chances of weak immunity.
▪ Prepare Amla juice and drink 15 ml of juice regularly. Or, as an option, Chyavanprash can be good for supplementing antioxidants and building a healthier immune system.
▪ Avoid taking cold water and drink warm water plenty of times in a day. Hydration is important for mucous membranes and the throat to stay moist. Harmful factors for immunity-
▪ High levels of stress: It may result in raising the levels of cortisol present in the blood, which harms the immune system.
▪ Lack of sleep: With the irregular sleep patterns or lack of sleep, the immune system fails to reach its nourishment.
▪ Poor diet: If your diet misses all the balanced nutrients or it is missing the “dosha balance,” then it is considered as a poor diet. With the raises of artificial flavor and processes form of sugar intake, it can result in the weakening of human immunity. Also, anorexia related disorders intake can unbalance the immune system.
The conditions of obesity are at major risk of developing a weak immunity. Excess conditions of weight gain can result in causing an imbalance in the hormonal functions and metabolism.
▪ Excess consumption of alcohol:
The healthcare practitioner are well-informed about the negative impact of alcohol consumption upon the immune system. It reduces the chances of recovery from any kind of disease or illness. In different researches, it is revealed that excess alcohol can be a misleading factor in weakening the nourishment of the immune system.
▪ Dehydration: It is uncovered that diminishing levels of fluid within the body can be a figure coming about in debilitating the immunity of the human body.
▪ Chronic solutions: With the tall admissions of persistent drugs, counting antimicrobials, it may result in causing a harmful effect on the immune system.
Ayurveda instructs us that ojas and solid immunity are the common results of great wellbeing, which depends on vigorous Agni, a steady way of life, and an adjusted apprehensive framework. This being the case, supporting the safe framework is frequently more almost essential self-care than anything else. Our bodies prosper with legitimate sustenance and satisfactory rest; they do indeed way better when we commit to overseeing push, developing solid connections, grasping delight and meaning, and living in arrangement with our possess bonafide truth. Follow your motivation. Approach alters one reasonable step at a time. And celebrate the turning points along the way. Follow your inspiration. Approach changes one manageable step at a time and celebrates the milestones along the way. We hope that we can continue to support you on your path toward vibrant health, unshakable strength, and a robust immune system.